World Environment Day – June 5
Pet Insurance Australia is urging all pet owners to embrace World Environment Day on June 5th.
“Pet owners spend a lot of time outdoors, particularly dog owners,” Nadia Crighton from Pet Insurance Australia says. “This day is a good time to appreciate all the wonderful places we are able to take our pets, and the importance of keeping those wonderful environments healthy.”
Pet Insurance Australia advises pet owners to be extra diligent in keeping those environments they use clean, and also raising awareness about any possible environmental problems.
“If you notice that the bins at your local off leash area are overflowing with rubbish, or that there is a lot of plastic and garbage around the dog beach, now is the time to be proactive,” she suggests. “Ensuring that the environments you enjoy are being looked after is a good step in the right direction.”
- Make picking up rubbish a daily habit
- Report any problems with your local council
- Get out and enjoy the amazing environments open to your pets
- Make ‘planet friendly’ choices with your pets
- Use bio-degradable poo bags
- Put your phone away and immerse yourself in the environment alongside your dog
PIA also reminds pet owners the importance of looking after pet-friendly areas across Australia, including parks, reserves, trail walks and beaches. With so many pristine environments open to dogs, taking the time to keep these places clean and enjoying these areas is a wonderful way to appreciate the stunning Australian environment.
“It’s really important to read the signage of these great areas and stick to the rules so that dog owners can continue to enjoy these special zones,” Crighton says. “Picking up after your dog and disposing of the bag correctly is also vital.”
- Organise a trail walk with your dog
- Take a trip to a new outdoor pet-friendly area
- Book a pet-friendly vacation in a new area
- Pick up a bag of rubbish every time you walk your dog
- Explore other areas around Australia