Pet Insurance Australia Companion Animal Rescue Awards 2022
Recognising rescues, shelters, and councils that keep people and their pets together in times of hardship – Rescue Awards entry deadline 31 July 2022
Pet Insurance Australia is proud to once again be supporting the Companion Animal Rescue Awards as their naming partner.
“These awards are so important and really highlight the wonderful efforts rescue groups and animal shelters continue to achieve,” Nadia Crighton from Pet Insurance Australia says.
Since the beginning of the COVID-19 pandemic, pet ownership has substantially increased with thousands of Australians finding comfort and companionship in animals adopted from rescues and shelters during periods of uncertainty and social isolation.
The Companion Animal Rescue Awards returns for its 5th year to inspire rescue groups and animal shelters that continue their efforts in saving lives during these challenging times of the pandemic and more recently, the devastating floods in parts of Australia.
A celebration was held at Sydney Dogs and Cats Home (proud member of Companion Animal Network Australia) in Sydney to launch the 2022 Rescue Awards program. Pet adoption advocate and Rescue Awards Founder Cathy Beer welcomed back Pet Insurance Australia as the Platinum Rescue Hero and Naming Partner. The program is called the ‘Pet Insurance Australia Companion Animal Rescue Awards 2022’.
“Right from our first year of the Rescue Awards back in 2018, Pet Insurance Australia has been one of our wonderful founding Supporters. I’m delighted to welcome back this fine Australian family-owned business as our Naming Partner. Pet insurance is critical to ensure pets receive top-quality veterinary treatment and care. Pet Insurance Australia brings an international reputation for excellence and a caring approach to their customers seeking pet insurance,” said Cathy, also the founder of Pets4Life.
The Rescue Awards is Australia’s first and only national awards program for hard-working rescues, shelters, companion animal welfare organisations, foster carers, and passionate pet adopters. The program is managed by Pets4Life, an independent education resource for cat and dog guardians and a provider of force-free, positive dog training services.
The Rescue Awards is the platform to showcase excellence and innovation, thereby raising the standards of rescue groups and animal shelters nationwide.
“Thousands of volunteers support over 1,000 rescue groups and animal shelters across Australia said, Cathy. “The Rescue Awards shines the light on staff and volunteers who not only help surrendered and abandoned pets to find a loving home but also provide outreach assistance to pet guardians in the community.”
Returning as the Rescue Awards Ambassador is Lara Shannon, Certified Dog Trainer, Animal Welfare Advocate, and Host of Channel 10’s Pooches at Play, Author of “World of Dogs” and “Eat, Play, (Love Your Dog)”. Lara shares her enthusiasm for the Rescue Awards in her video message.
Pet Insurance Australia Spokesperson Nadia Crighton said, “Pet Insurance Australia is thrilled to be the Platinum Rescue Hero and Naming Partner for the Pet Insurance Australia Companion Animal Rescue Awards 2022.”
Ali Osmani, Pet Insurance Australia CEO, said, “After supporting these important awards since its inception, it’s a great honour to continue our support in a significant way. We encourage Australian rescues and shelters that work tirelessly to save the lives of pets to enter the Rescue Awards in 2022, and get the recognition they deserve.”
“This year, the Rescue Awards have made some exciting changes to the award categories!” she said. “Thanks to the Australian Pet Welfare Foundation, Category 4 is now open to all councils with or without their own shelter. Category 6 is for anyone working with the community to keep people and their pets together. We’re also delighted to welcome Ivory Coat as our new sponsor for categories 9 and 10 (see category list below).”
Rescue Awards Categories
The Rescue Awards 2022 has 10 Categories with one winner for each category. Award categories 1 – 8 are for the industry. Category 9, the ‘Ivory Coat People’s Rescue Story’, is for Aussie pet guardians who have adopted a pet and Category 10 is the ‘Ivory Coat Foster Carer Story’ for foster carers of companion animals waiting for their forever home.
- Outstanding Rescue Group
- Outstanding New Rescue Group
- Outstanding Animal Shelter
- Australian Pet Welfare Foundation Award for Councils
- Innovation in Companion Animal Welfare and Management
- Working with the Community to keep People and their Pets Together
- Volunteer of the Year
- Refuel Creative Digital Marketing
- Ivory Coat People’s Rescue Story
- Ivory Coat Foster Carer Story
The Rescue Awards is thrilled to announce these 21 judges including three new judges, Farmer Dave Graham, Dr. Leigh Davidson, and Connie MacLulich. The judges bring a diversity of expertise in the areas of companion animal welfare, rescue and sheltering, veterinary, training, compassion fatigue, digital marketing, animal behaviour, and rehabilitation.
The Rescue Awards wishes to thank the judges for donating their time and expertise.
- Tim Vasudeva, Financial Institutions & Corporate Engagement, WAP Australia
- Nell Thompson, Coordinator for G2Z, Secretary for the AIAM Committee
- Emeritus Professor Jacquie Rand, Executive Director & Chief Scientist, Australian Pet Welfare Foundation
- Vickie Davy, Co-Founder & joint CEO of PetRescue
- Farmer Dave Graham, Co-founder & Manager RuffTRACK, Youth Worker, Dog Trainer
- Dr. Vanessa Rolf, Compassion Fatigue Therapist
- Brooke Rankmore, CEO at Animal Management in Rural and Remote Indigenous Communities (AMRRIC)
- Jona Osmani, Operational Manager, Pet Insurance Australia
- Dr. Anne Quain, Animal Welfare Veterinarian
- Anne Boxhall, Animal Welfare Advocate with 28 years of experience in sheltering and rescue
- Barbara Hodel, President of the Pet Professional Guild Australia
- Diana Rayment, Companion Animal Welfare Scientist, Shelter Supervisor at Second Chance Animal Rescue
- Ryan Jones, Founder, and CEO of Refuel Creative
- Brittany Bloomer, International TV Presenter and Founder of charity Pound Paws
- Annette Hughes, Publisher of Where Pets Are Found
- Dr. Leigh Davidson, Founder, Your Vet Online
- Tara O’Connell, Creator of The Pet Diaries mobile app
- Andrew Grill, The Actionable® Futurist, technology trends and the digital world expert
- John Kim, Founder, and CEO of Silverquest Consulting, Australian Marketing Institute (AMI) Board Member
- Connie MacLulich, Brand Manager (Ivory Coat), Real Pet Food Company
- Cathy Beer, Founder of Pets4Life and the Companion Animal Rescue Awards
Full bios and photos of the judges can be found here.
OPEN FOR ENTRIES
Enter online from 9 am on 3 May to close midnight on 31 July 2022 AEST. To enter, visit www.rescueawards.com.au and follow the links.
Photo by Jo Lyons Photography